Learning that your insurance claim has been denied after a car accident is extremely stressful. You may need money to cover medical payments, repair costs, and lost wages, depending on the severity of your injuries. If funds don’t materialize, you may be stuck paying for these costs out of pocket.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take after your claim is denied. Here are a few key points to keep in mind when dealing with a difficult insurer.
Steps to Take After a Denial
Insurance claims can be denied for many reasons. For instance, your policy may not cover the type of damage that occurred to your vehicle. There may also be an issue with coverage limits if the damage is extremely expensive. Regardless of the actual reason, here’s what you should do if you find out your claim is denied:
- Ask for Written Documentation – The insurance company should provide a reason for their denial in writing. In the event they do not, ask for documentation right away. When you receive it, compare their reason against your policy details to determine if it has merit.
- Provide Additional Details – In the event you believe the denial was in error, provide additional documentation to the insurer. This can include estimates from a repair shop or information on your medical costs.
- File an Appeal – Most insurers have a formal appeals process for denied claims. Ask for details on how to file an appeal and follow those steps.
What You Should Know About Bad Faith Insurance Claims
While some denials are based on legitimate reasons, others are not. When this occurred, the insurer is acting in bad faith towards the claimant, as they must adhere to the terms of your policy. Your insurance agency may be acting in bad faith if:
- They don’t properly investigate your claim
- They don’t provide a reason for the denial
- They refuse to provide funds for a valid claim
- They ignore documentation that supports your claim
If your appeal is unsuccessful or you believe that your insurer is treating you unfairly, you should contact an attorney to discuss the next steps when it comes to litigation.
When faced with a denied insurance claim in Albuquerque, Hinkle Law Offices can help you pursue the funds you need to make a full recovery from your accident. Our team has experience with a wide range of auto accidents, and we also have experience navigating complex insurance issues. And if you believe you’re not receiving fair treatment according to your insurance policy, you can rest assured with us in your corner.